- Temple of the Italian Glories ( Tempio dell'Itale Glorie)
- Burial place of several Florentine and Italian masters such as Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Galileo Galilee, Rossini and more
- Find frescos by Giotto and a chapel designed by Brunelleschi
- Admire the works by Donatello and the monument dedicated to Dante Alighieri, author of the Divine Comedy
The Basilica di Santa Croce (Basilica of the Holy Cross) is the principal Franciscan church in Florence, Italy, and a minor basilica of the Roman Catholic Church. It is situated on the Piazza di Santa Croce, about 800 meters south-east of the Duomo.
It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, the poet Foscolo, the philosopher Gentile and the composer Rossini, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories (Tempio dell'Itale Glorie).
The tour starts in the main square, where the famous soccer game in medieval costumes, the Calcio Storico Florentino, takes place here every year in June. In this tour, you will learn a lot of history and also the life of Michelangelo. Your guide will describe in detail of all the immense artistic wealth in Santa Croce; frescoes (1380) by Gaddi in the Cappella Maggiore tell the story of "Santa Croce", and beautiful frescoes by Giotto in the Bardi and Peruzzi Chapels show scenes from the life of St. Francis and St. John the Evangelist.
On your way to the left of the entrance, you'll see the memorial of the 19th-century playwright Giovanni Battista Niccolini built as an inspiration for the Statue of Liberty. As you walk through the hallowed walls learn the art of Donatello and his crucifix, one of the jewels of the Renaissance, as well the art of Brunelleschi and the perfect architectural harmony of his Chapel of Fools.
The Church also bears the marks of history, including those left by the tragic flood of 1966 that damaged several paintings and destroyed the monumental cemetery, which was subsequently restored and is part of this tour.
After visiting the interior, the exterior which is covered with a polychrome marble façade will be explained to you by the guide. Finally, the guide will tour you around the Bell Tower, Crypt and the16 Chapels.
The tour takes about an hour, you can also return to anything you might want to see again, after the tour ends.
Piazza Santa Croce (in front of Dante Alighieri statue)
- Entrance Tickets
- Official Certified guide
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Hotel pick-up and drop off
- Food and drinks
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking
- A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed. Knees and shoulders MUST be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please note that the tour requires a minimum number of guests to run
- Please note that if you arrive after the tour start time you will not be able to join and will not be refunded or have your tour rescheduled
- There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund